Saturday, February 8, 2014

Me, Myself y Yo.

So why am I going away for nearly 2 weeks alone to some foreign place where I don't know a single person? ... because I want to!

If you haven't know me for very long, you might be surprised to learn that I was once a very dependent person who wasn't comfortable doing anything, and I mean ANYTHING alone. But I suppose that's what a long, toxic, constrictive relationship does to you. When I had alone time I was bored, restless, often uncomfortable with my own silence and I would avoid it at all costs by calling family or going to bed early. I was so uncomfortable with myself. Why? I'm pretty awesome (granted I know that now, but back then I was in a relatively dark place). Maybe being alone meant I would actually think about life... think about what I wanted... my goals... how to get out of such a miserable place? Yup. That's what you do when you're by yourself.

Long story short - I ended my relationship, moved out on my own and was forced to swallow independence. The first month was tolerable... but I needed a pick-me-up. So one day I booked a flight to Orlando and decided to go to Disney World (my all-time favourite place). It didn't process until I called my mom and blurted out: "I'm going to Florida... ALONE!!". What the hell was I thinking? Yeah, I was sad, and I needed to get away... but seriously, the girl who can't stand 5 mins alone just threw herself into an entire week away from everyone.

With everything said and done, that trip was one of the best things I've EVER done for myself. I learned to enjoy my own company; I learned that at the end of the day, I'm in control of my life; and every now and then it's good to take risks (I went on a random date with a guy I had met the first night - umm, hello? Stranger danger).

A friend of mine suggested "why not save Barcelona for a special moment with a special person, like a honeymoon? It means so much to you." I could do that, but how much longer will I be waiting? Future opportunities are never guaranteed. But she's right that this means so much to me... and that's enough for me to make this happen now. So here I am... taking this risk. It's my dream trip.

_________

Flights are booked. Next step is booking my hotel, hostel, AirBnB... whatever it may be? Where would you stay and why? Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment