Saturday, February 22, 2014

Accommodations as a Solo Traveler

As if finding a place to stay while on vacation wasn't hard enough; there are so many factors to consider: price, location, cleanliness, reviews, security, atmosphere... and trying to find a nice home away from home as a single occupant is a rough ride. All the things you'd normally look for in a hotel are heightened, and sadly this comes with a price... usually doubled (this might be the only thing I think that sucks about being solo). But there are other options... hostels, AirBnB, bed and breakfasts... let's run through the pros and cons, shall we?

HOSTELS
I've never stayed in a hostel. Granted, not sure I've traveled any place where I would find one to be safe. But people, including my best friend, SWEAR by these places. In fact, the moment I mentioned a hotel I wanted to stay at in Barcelona, she gave me pretty much a confused-looking type of death stare which clearly read "umm, why on earth are you staying at a hotel?" So after some research, I found maybe 3 hostels that were worthy of my standards and they became options (great - but again, as if it wasn't hard enough to find a place to stay...). Here is what it comes down to:

Pros
- Communal (there are communal spaces for all travelers to eat, chill, do whatever... which result in a greater chance of meeting new friends)
- Cost efficient (staying in a 6 bed dorm can literally cost one sixth of the cost of a regular stay)
- Helpful staff (most reviews I've read emphasize how great staff were in helping travelers with plans, etc. I mean... it's a friendly atmosphere to begin with and there are a lot of solo travelers who do appreciate any help they can get)
- Solo travelers (more people just like me!)
- Excursions and activities (a couple places I found do evening activities, like pub crawls... that means even if I'm solo I can go bar hopping, get kinda tipsy... actually EXPERIENCE the wonderful nightlife and still make it back to my place safely as I'll be with familiar peeps)

Cons
- Shared spaces (I mean, sure I'll eat breakfast with peeps but I really don't want to share a room with others, and NO WAY will I share a bathroom)
- Privacy (again... shared space = no alone time)
- Noise (again... because you're sharing your room, people can come and go and interrupt your sleep)
- Security (again... shared space means really, anyone is in view of your stuff - providing it's not locked away)

So to wrap it up, there are more pros than cons, and really - there is only one con: shared space. Solution: single private room with ensuite bathroom.Which is exactly what I booked :) Of course it came with a price... but I truly believe it'll give me the hostel experience within my comfort zone.

At the end of the day, you need something comfortable. Nothing is as comfortable as my bed, especially as I lay here sick, sipping tea and writing this post... but you know what you need so trust your instincts and stay where you WANT to stay.

AirBnB? Bed and Breakfasts? I'll be looking into these options soon for Paris. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment